Environment Counts | Evidence for global warming
Author: Geoff Zeiss – Published At: 2012-01-30 08:51 – (786 Reads)
10 key climate indicators that present the scientific evidence that the world is warming
The 10 measurable planet-wide features used to gauge global temperature changes include
- air temperature over land is rising
- sea-surface temperature is rising
- air temperature over oceans is rising
- sea level is rising
- ocean heat is rising
- humidity and tropospheric temperature in the â€œactive-weatherâ€ layer of the atmosphere closest to the Earthâ€™s surface is rising
- arctic sea ice is decreasing,
- glaciers are decreasing
- spring snow cover in the Northern hemisphere is decreasing
The report concludes that the analysis brings together independently produced, multiple observational records from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the ocean, from many institutions worldwide, using data collected from diverse sources, including satellites, weather balloons, weather stations, ships, buoys and field surveys.
The report say that conditions are consistently warmer, and some areas are likely to see more extreme events like severe drought, torrential rain and violent storms. Each of the last three decades has been much warmer than the decade before. Over the past 50 years the temperature has increased by one degree Fahrenheit and there is now evidence that over 90 percent of warming over the past 50 years has gone into the oceans.